Thursday, May 10, 2007

Global Neighbourhoods article

I was reading through an article in Global Neighbourhoods about Wikipedia that caught my attention because we have done many things with Wikipedia this year. It explains how Wikipedia is one of the most widely used information site on the web. It explains that it is such a good website due to the fact that so many people can add stuff to it.

Some may say that people can add stuff that isnt important or false information but the great thing about Wikipedia is that people will keep up with the site and correct the things that are wrong and or add information daily.

Shel Israel (the author of Naked Conversations) said that Wikipedia was the primary source for the book. She explains that she thought all the information was 100% accurate. That makes the site more credible and I believe people will continue to use it as a source of reference in years to come. Many young users will reference wikipedia when looking for information and as they grow older they will continue to use the site as well as the generation after them. To take a look at this article go to Global Neighbourhoods: Wikipedia: Just How Popular is it

3 comments:

shelisrael said...

Ryan,

Thanks so much for the reference to my wikipedia post and to the book I wrote with Robert Scoble. Just for the record, my name is Shel Israel. Steve Rubel is a friend and a great blogger who we wrote about in the book.

cfusco25 said...

I definitely agree that wikipedia is a great source for information. I don't understand why some professors don't allow the usage of this source. Although most of the information is factual, I feel that sometimes the structure of articles become cluttered due to the amount of people contributing. They need a good editor. I feel that Wikipedia will continue to thrive in the future.

Lauren Chell said...

I do agree that wikipedia is a wonderful source for information because it is always up to date. My only concern with it is that people may not always be adding the facts. I feel like it is a great source as long as you have a back up to verify.